The last bit of baking before the wedding. I used up the last of the wholemeal rye flour. The final result was tasty and made great sandwiches for work the whole week. Also had the luxury of using yeast, which was a surprising pleasure after all my sourdough shenanigans.
400 g Wholemeal Rye Flour
200 g Strong White Flour
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Quick Yeast
1 tsp salt
30g black treacle
400ml warm water
2 tbsps oil
1. Mix together the flours, sugar, yeast and salt.
2. Stir the treacle into the water until dissolved.
3. Add the liquid into the flour and as the dough comes together add the oil.
4. Form into a smooth ball of dough, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
5. Knock back the dough and knead vigorously for a few minutes.
6. Place the dough in an oiled 1kg/2lb bread tin and leave to rise for 45 minutes.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40/45 minutes.
8. Remove bread from the tin and wrap in a clean tea towel to cool.
Temperature & cooking time:
Oven 220°C/Fan200°C/425°F/Gas 7 for 40/45 minutes